Top One Percent badge
Top 40 Under 40 badge
Premer 100 badge
Super Lawyers badge

Restraining Orders/ 209A Abuse Prevention Orders & Violations/ 258E Harassment Prevention Orders & Violations

Restraining orders/ Abuse Prevention Orders/ Harassment Prevention Orders

If you have been served with notice of a 209A abuse prevention order, or a 258E harassment prevention order, you should contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. While a temporary 10-day order may issue, you have the right to contest a full 1-year order. It is important to contact an attorney as soon as you receive such notice, so that the attorney may have time to investigate, prepare, and also clear his schedule for your court date. Judges are often reluctant NOT to grant the order against you, for public policy reasons. The standard to issue the order is much lower than proof in a criminal case; for a 209A order, the judge just needs to be satisfied that the petitioner has a reasonable fear of harm. A 209A is only applicable if the plaintiff and the defendant are/ have been in a serious dating relationship. lived together, or are related by blood. If none of these apply, the plaintiff may still apply for a 258E harassment prevention order, but this type of restraining order requires the plaintiff to present credible evidence (testimony alone is often sufficient) or 3 or more instances of contact by the defendant made for the sole purpose of harassing the plaintiff. If a full 1- year order is issued, you will forever be entered into a nationwide criminal database, even though a restraining order is civil in nature. The order may prevent you from contacting certain people (even your own children), where you can go (you can be forced to evacuate your own home), and you will be required to surrender any firearms that you may have. You have a lot to lose at these hearings, so it is important to be represented by an experienced, skillful defense attorney.

If you are alleged to have violated a 209A or 258E restraining order, you are now facing a CRIMINAL CHARGE. Violation of either type of order carries up to 2 ½ years in jail and a $5,000 fine. It is extremely important that you NOT contact the plaintiff in your case, and your first point of contact should be your defense attorney. We will help you every step of the way. You might be facing a violation for even the most innocent set of circumstances, such as indirect communication with the alleged victim, or a “butt dial” from your phone. Regardless of the alleged violation, DO NOT try to resolve the issue on your own. Doing so could result in an unintended admission of guilt- let your attorney handle your defense.

If a 209A or 258E restraining order has already been issued against you, it is usually very difficult to terminate the order without the consent of the petitioner, unless you have documented, reliable proof that the petitioner lied to the court. Usually, witness testimony of a third party in and of itself is not enough to vacate an order. A change or circumstance, however, may be grounds to modify an order. For example, if you have been ordered to stay 100 yards away from your spouse, but a new job requires you to travel past his/ her street once a week, a modification to the original order may be justified. It is important to know that the modification must be entered by the same judge who issued the original restraining order. It is important that you contact a skilled to defense attorney, as there are very particular procedural and substantive rules that must be followed for a restraining order modification to be granted.

At Urbelis Law, we also often represent plaintiffs seeking a 209A or 258E restraining order against another person. We will review your personal situation, draft the application, and prepare the most compelling evidentiary presentation possible in order to maximize the likelihood of the court issuing an order against the defendant. We understand that such an order is very often necessary not only for your own personal safety, but also for your peace of mind. We're here to help you, every step of the way. 

If you are facing a 209A or 258E restraining order, or if you are charged with violating such an order, or if you wish to apply for such an order against another individual, contact our office immediately:

(617) 830-2188

Client Reviews
"Ben Urbelis recently represented me in an OUI case in which I had crashed my car. I honestly did not believe I had any chance of beating it, but fortunately for me Ben was outstanding and all charges were dropped. In my first hearing he was calm, assertive and straight to the point. I was extremely impressed and satisfied. I left my hearing feeling confident that I had made the right choice of hiring him. I am positive I would have lost this case and walked away with an OUI if I hadn't. I am very happy with how he handled my case and how reassured I felt having him as my lawyer." MC
"Benjamin Urbelis, an attorney with Urbelis Law LLC, took our call late in the evening when we needed him. Benjamin explained the legal process in a manner that we could understand and provided the legal representation needed to clear up the issue immediately. His experience and credentials were evident in the way in which he handled all of the details of our case and achieved complete success. Thank you Benjamin for your professionalism and wise counsel." FB
"Huge thank you to not only my friend, but my lawyer,Ben Urbelis..I presented him with a case that at first was a bit tricky on paper... but we worked hard together and got all information we needed to prove i was innocent! He knew from the get go a year ago that he was gonna smash this case, and he did!! Cant thank you enough man! If anyone needs a lawyer, hes your guy... no question" PB